Winter-Proof Your Home
- Insulate exterior faucets and water lines
- This might include your sprinkler system or air conditioner!
- Clean out your gutters
- Repair any roof leaks
- Have your heating system professionally checked
- Install any necessary insulation or weather stripping
- Prep your storm windows
- Clean out your chimney and fireplace
- Double check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Cover any patio furniture
If you have a snow blower you plan on using, make sure your machine will be easy to reach, fueled-up and in working condition.
Winter-Proof Your Car
- Bring your car in for a winter maintenance check
- Keep your gas tank as full as possible to avoid icing
- Use no-freeze windshield cleaning fluid
- Create an emergency kit to keep in your trunk, including:
- First-aid kit
- Set of dry, warm clothes
- Canned food and water
- Extra batteries or a phone charger
- Grit or kitty litter
- A small shovel
- Innermost layer: wool, insulating fabric
- Outermost layer: waterproof and wind-resistant
Now’s the perfect time to get yourself a durable, warm winter coat—but that’s only half the battle. Make sure that when you go out into the world, you layer your clothing for optimal warmth!
Check out some more tips and tricks on surviving the winter wonderland!