Tomorrow, Thursday, November 27, 2014, many of us here in North America will be celebrating an American holiday called Thanksgiving. Though its origins date back to 1621 when the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations; now, almost 400 years later, it has turned into a day of celebration with family, friends, football and food…lots of it. Amidst the festivities, let’s not forget the definitions of the words Thanks and Giving; that combined, form the name of this holiday.
THANKS – Grateful feelings or thoughts; gratitude; an expression of gratitude.
What are you thankful for? Most of us rarely take the time to look at our lives and see how blessed we really are. One secret of successful people is that they understand the value of being grateful for EVERYTHING that happens in their lives…both the perceived good and bad. For in everything, there are benefits that can always be found when we collapse time and see or experience life firsthand. On this day prior to celebrating Thanksgiving with your loved ones, remember to acknowledge all there is to be thankful for. Here are some of mine:
- I’m thankful for having the ability to see, hear (albeit less than most), taste, touch and smell all the wonders of the world and to live in a country which provides me the opportunity to express my full potential to love what I do and do what I love.
- I’m thankful for my beautiful and perfectly imperfect family, a roof over my head, food in my Buddha belly, parents who provided me with an education and environment for success, and friends to share it all with.
- I’m thankful for being sick and well, rich and poor, happy and sad, loved and despised, fulfilled and hungry, peaceful and anxious, and all possible emotional states to remind me that I am ALIVE!
- I’m especially thankful for my enemies, difficult personalities and people, seemingly horrific events, things I don’t understand and for ALL of the challenges that are presented to me daily so that I can become the person that is needed to discover and live into my full potential.
GIVING – To make a present of; to grant or bestow by formal action; to put into the possession of another for his or her use; to commit to another as a trust or responsibility and usually for an expressed reason.
I truly believe that the real secret to living is giving. The fact of the matter is that though it seems counterintuitive, everything we get is a reflection of what we have been giving. It is a spiritual principle that like gravity, you don’t have to believe in for it to work. However, the benefit of understanding this principle is that you will reap rewards ten, a hundred and a thousand fold compared to what you have given. YOU MUST GIVE FIRST, then have the FAITH to know that the bountiful harvest will come not on your time but on God’s time. As long as you are attached to the outcome of when and how you receive your treasure, you will stop the very source that will otherwise return your fortune exponentially.
- If you want love…give it first to yourself and then share it with humanity for all they are…and aren’t.
- If you want more prosperity…serve others with absolutely no expectation of a return.
- If you want money…give it first to yourself (save) and then share its abundance with people, causes and organizations you believe in.
- If you want friends…be the friend that knows no boundaries in service to another in need.
As you prepare to share this day with your family and loved ones, watch more football than should be legal, survive the ensuing food coma, and strategically plan your Black Friday shopping assault, don’t forget the Thanks and Giving that make up the name of the occasion…