In fact, studies suggest that altruism can increase your brain’s release of happy hormones, dopamine and endogenous opioids (endorphins, enkephalins, etc.). And regular release of these hormones is known to decrease anxiety and depression.
Although there are tons of ways you can give back to your community, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Collect canned goods to donate to a food bank or shelter
- Volunteer your time at a senior center
- Shovel snow for a neighbor
- Volunteer at your local animal shelter
- Collect loose change and donate to a cause of your choosing