It's no secret most of us will work out longer and harder when we're grooving to motivating music. Not only is this great for our bods, but recent research shows listening to music while exercising boosts results and keeps our brains in better shape, too.
Music + Exercise = Double Benefits
University of Ohio researchers recently tested 33 men and women to determine if the frontal lobes of their brains became more active when listening to music while exercising. Before and after working out, participants completed mental testing. After exercising without music, there was no change in the participants' test performance, but those who listened to music while exercising literally doubled their performance, on average.
In addition to improving our brains, countless studies indicate listening to music before and during exercise brings ot her physical benefits, like increased endurance and physical capacity, delay of fatigue or perception of fatigue, improved energy efficiency and elevated mood.
Playlists for You
Experts believe stimulating our minds with music works for our brains just like exercise works for our bodies. The more we do it, the more efficient our muscles and brain becomes. So the next time you work out, make it twice as good by enjoying one of these fun music playlists. Find many more or create your own at www.jogfm.com.
Rockin' Running Mix
- "Super Bon Bon" – Soul Coughing
- "Darkness Surrounds" – Cupcakes
- "Crank" – Catherine Wheel
- "New York" – Richard Ashcrof
- "Passenger" – Deftones
- "Skeptic" – Chevelle
- "Suffocate" – Finger Eleven
- "Chemicals Between Us" – Bush
- "Make Yourself" – Incubus
- "Hard to Explain" – The Strokes
- "All My Life" – Foo Fighters
Cool Kid Club Mix
- "Sorry for Party Rocking" - LMFAO
- "Can't Hold Us"- Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
- "Break Your Heart"- Taio Cruz & Ludacris
- "Rocketeer" – Far East Movement
- "Light ‘em Up" – Fall Out Boy
- "I Like It" – Enrique Iglesias
- "#thatPOWER" - Will I Am
- "Right Round" – Flo Rida
- "Airplanes" – B.o.B.
- "Feel So Close" – Calvin Harris
- "Madness" - Muse
- "Say" – John Mayer
- "Bleeding Love" – Leona Lewis
- "Life is a Highway" – Rascal Flatts
- "Free Falling" – Tom Petty
- "Better Life" – Keith Urban
- "Brand New Day" – Sting
- "Breakdown" – Tom Petty
- "Cooler Than Me" – Mike Posner
- "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" – KT Tunstall
- "Bent" – Matchbox Twenty
- "The Sky's the Limit" – Jason Derulo
- "I Haven't Met You Yet" – Michael Buble
Spotify Running Matches Your Pace
Have you heard of Spotify? It’s an awesome music app that contains pretty much any song you can think of. With the premium membership (9.99/month) comes “Spotify Running.” Select this “genre” within the app, start running and it detects your tempo—and then it plays music to match your pace. Pretty cool, huh? Here are the instructions from Spotify:
- Tap the Menu button.
- Select Browse.
- Scroll down to GENRES & MOODS and select Running.
- Tap a playlist you want to select.
- Tap START RUN.
- Start running! We’ll detect your tempo automatically and play music that matches it for your run. Or, tap SKIP to jump right into the music. Note: Tempo detection might not be available on some Android phones.
- Use the up and down arrows to manually adjust the tempo during your run.
Have fun moving and grooving!