We are born with only two fears:
- The fear of falling
- The fear of loud noises
Everything else is programmed into us. How you think is a direct result of the programming you have put (allowed) in your mind. In computer programming, there is an acronym called G.I.G.O. It stands for Garbage In Garbage Out. Whatever you program a computer to do, it can only process the information given to calculate the appropriate outcome.
If the information going in is garbage, guess what the outcome will be?
It’s simple to understand and think about when we talk about a computer isn’t it? However, most people have no clue that it works the same with our brains. How we respond to circumstances is a direct reflection of the programming in our noggins.
From 1993-2000, I had the honor of working with and coaching the best athletes on the planet at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado. It’s almost impossible to understand how great these athletes are unless you’ve experienced it. Like professional athletes, they truly are the best of the best.
I can share from experience that at that level, most athletes in the world have a physical gift that you can’t coach and it’s pretty even across the board. They are all physically gifted. The difference between the ones who medal and those that don’t are the six inches between their ears. How they “think” is the difference between a gold medal and not making the cut. To create that, we consciously infused them with daily (over)doses of positive affirmations, images, visualization, psychological training, audio and video programming, and surrounded them with likeminded individuals who supported them in accomplishing their goals.
“What’s this got to do with me?” you might ask. EVERYTHING. You don’t have to have the physical gifts of an Olympian to think like one. All we have to do is give ourselves daily (over)doses of positive input to counterbalance the negative programming we get just by being alive! It comes from most of the people around us, what we read, watch and listen to.
- People – It’s been said that people can be put in one of three categories:
- Those that can help you – They talk about concepts and ideas…always looking to support, nurture and bring out our best.
- Those that can hurt you – They talk about other people…usually belittling, condescending, negative and whining about everything!
- Those that really don’t matter – They talk about things and stuff that ain’t got nothing to do with nothing productive.
- Read – Most people stop reading to learn the moment they exit the doors of a learning institution. Leaders are readers.
- Watch/Listen – If your daily input does not include educational, inspirational or motivational programming…G.I.G.O.!
If you’re not getting what you want out of life, everything seems to be an emergency and you feel stressed, overwhelmed and unproductive; all you need is a checkup from the neck up to reprogram your stinkin’ thinkin'
Brett Penager, Chief Marketing Officer