Note: Prepare the filling and "sprinkles" a day in advance to ease party preparations.
For the Cake:
- 1 package of dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- 1 tablespoon of organic maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups of nut flour (plus more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons of coconut sugar
- 6 tablespoons of grass-fed butter or ghee (cut into pieces)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup of regular coconut milk (plus more for brushing)
For the filling:
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup of grass-fed butter or ghee, softened
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the sprinkles:
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut sugar
- 4 drops of yellow food coloring
- 4 drops of green food coloring
- 4 drops of purple food coloring
For the icing:
- 1 1/2 cup of confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of warm water
Using three bowls, mix 1/2 cup of sugar in each bowl and add a few drops of food coloring for desired color.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and salt. Add the warm water and stir vigorously until the mixture is a very thick glaze.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the yeast, warm water and maple syrup, mixing gently until the yeast dissolves and bubbles begin to appear on the surface. Set aside until frothy, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, nutmeg and sugar. Add the butter and blend until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add mixture to the yeast, along with an egg and coconut milk. Knead, adding flour as necessary, until soft dough forms. Place in an oiled bowl, covered, for 1 hour or until the dough is doubled in size.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the coconut sugar, butter, chopped pecans and cinnamon. Then preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil a large baking sheet.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle about 1/8” thick, and cut it in half lengthwise. Next, cut each of the strips into triangles, each about 3 inches at their base. (Think of a zigzag pattern, alternating the tops of triangles with the bases.)
- With the tips pointed inward, place the triangles in a circle on the prepared sheet, overlapping, and press the edges to seal. Then place an even amount of the filling on the centers of the triangles, and place the baby somewhere on the filling.
- Fold the outsides of the triangles over the filling. Then fold the tips over, pressing slightly. Cover the ring lightly with a paper towel, and let rise for 20 minutes. Then brush the cake lightly with coconut milk or soy milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. After allowing it to cool, pour your icing over the cake several times, allowing it to run down the sides. Add your sprinkles while alternating colors.