If you’re an allergy sufferer, you already know this allergy season is in full swing. Many experts predicted this season would be one of the worst, but would patients of chiropractic agree? More on this in a minute.
May and June = Trees and Grass Pollens
These two months are tough for those who suffer from tree and grass pollens. These two, along with weed pollen and mold spores, are the four most common triggers. And this isn’t just affecting a few people. Over 17 million adults were diagnosed in 2014—and nearly 7 million children. (Can you picture a sweet little two-year-old with itchy, watery eyes and an incessant sneeze? Don’t do it. You’ll just be sad.) And to top it all off, the 2015 season is supposed to be longer than usual.
Seasonal Allergies Explained
The quick and easy explanation is that airborne pollen or mold from trees, grasses, flowers and weeds enters the body, causing an allergic reaction. The body reacts by produces antibodies (immunoglobulin E/IgE); these antibodies travel to the cells that produce histamines. And finally, the histamines are known to cause itchy, watery eyes, sneezing, runny nose and stuffy nose.
Downside to Allergy Medications
The go-to for many people with terrible allergies is medications like antihistamines and decongestants—and we get it, you want to feel better! But the problem is, often the side effects can be worse that the allergy symptoms. Some of the common side effects of drugs like Benadryl, Zyrtec, Clarinex, Allegra and Claritin are:
- Drowsiness and confusion
- Nausea and vomiting
- Restlessness or moodiness
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty urinating
- Dry mouth
Chiropractic Adjustments and Natural Allergy Solutions
There are several things you can do to get rid of allergy symptoms naturally:
- Change your furnace filters regularly—and choose a higher quality HEPA filter if possible
- Add some houseplants; some of the best anti-pollutant plants are English ivy, African Violets and phalaenopsis
- Use a Neti pot to clean out your sinuses
- Track pollen levels or set pollen alerts on www.pollen.com
- Keep up with your chiropractic care
- Adjustments can increase immune resistance
- Sinus manipulation can help with congestion
- Many patients report a vast improvement with allergy symptoms
Why wait? Schedule your next appointment or refer a friend to chiropractic today.